Our 2-day First Aid Response Refresher course is designed to maintain the skills and update First Aid Responders about potential changes in regulations and laws regarding first aid. This refresher course for the First Aid Responder has to be followed every 2 years in order to remain certified. This refresher course consists of at least 12 hours of training.
Who Should Attend this course
Anyone who needs to re-certify as a first aid responder.
People with a valid QQI level 5 Occupational First Aid that needs to be renewed can follow this First Aid Response refresher course. Following successfully completing this refresher course, their Occupational First Aid certificate will be exchanged for a First Aid Response certificate.
On completion of this programme, participants will be able to:
- Deal with life-threatening or potentially life-threatening conditions in the pre-hospital environment until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Provide First Aid for conditions not thought to be life-threatening but are necessary to prevent further harm before the emergency medical services arrive.
- Provide pre-hospital First Aid in a wide range of environments including work, home and recreational settings.
- Display the requisite personal skills including composure, competence and self-confidence while understanding their limitations.
- Recognise and be able to cope with the additional challenges provided by “Special Circumstances” for which additional training must be completed.
- Patient Assessment
- Incident Procedures
- Cardiac First Response (CPR & AED, Choking & Stroke)
- Common Medical Emergencies (Asthma, Diabetes, Seizures, Poisoning & Fainting)
- Injury Management & Shock (Bleeding, Bone Injuries, Sprains, Strains & Dislocations, Shock)
- Care of the Unconscious Patient
- Burns & Electrical Injury Care
- Hypothermia & Hyperthermia
- Information Management
- The Well-Being of the First-Aid Responder
Methods of training
The course is highly interactive with each theory session being followed by a demonstration, practical tasks and assessment of individual skills.
Assessment & Certification
Continuous assessment throughout the course. At the end of day 2, a multiple-choice exam will take place. Students receive a PHECC/PSTC Certificate in First Aid Response on completion. The certificate is valid for 2 years.
Duration & Cost
2-day course and cost is €150 per person