Our half-day Parent First Aid Course is designed to give anyone who deals with children an understanding of the everyday injuries you may come across as caretaker of child.
Who should attend this Parent First Aid course?
Anyone who deals with children outside their working environment such as parents, grandparents and occasional babysitters.
Please note that this course is not suitable for professional childcare workers. They should follow the Paediatric First Aid course.
On completion of this programme, participants will be able to:
- Provide treatment for preserving life or minimising the consequences of injury until the arrival of medical aid.
- Provide treatment for an injury to child or infant which does not require the attention of a medical practitioner or nurse.
- Understand paediatric related injuries and illnesses.
- Emergency Care Principles – How to Activate EMS, First Aid Kits, Scene Safety, Etc.
- CPR & Choking – Learn to perform child & infant CPR and how to treat choking.
- Bleeding – Bumps, cuts, graces and nosebleeds
- Fracture Management – Dealing with fractures and dislocations
- Medical Emergencies– Croup, asthma, meningitis, febrile convulsions
Methods of Training
The course is highly interactive with each theory session being followed by demonstration, practical tasks and assessment of individual skills.
Assessment and certification
Continuous assessment throughout the course. Students receive a PSTC Certificate on completion. The certificate is valid for 2 years.