Essential Driver Training (EDT) is a mandatory training course that teaches fundamental driving skills to learner car drivers. It is part of the RSA’s Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) scheme and is intended to improve road safety.
EDT is only part of the learning process, you will need lots of practice and may need more lesson to become a safe driverWho Needs Essential Driver Training?
Studies show that young drivers and inexperienced drivers are more likely to die or be seriously injured in collisions, and EDT is one of several measures introduced by the RSA to help improve critical driving knowledge, skills and behaviours of new drivers.
If the issue date of your first B category (Car) learner permit is on or after 4 April 2011, in order to be able to sit your full driving test, you must first complete all EDT lessons.Instructor
All our Tutors are fully Certified QQI Tutors and on the Approved Driving Instructor Register held by the RSA.Course Programme
- Each of the EDT lessons has particular objectives. You should prepare for each lesson using the EDT Course Syllabus.
The 12 lessons are titled:
- LESSON 1: CAR CONTROLS AND SAFETY CHECKS
- LESSON 2: CORRECT POSITIONING
- LESSON 3: CHANGING DIRECTION
- LESSON 4: PROGRESSION MANAGEMENT
- LESSON 5: CORRECT POSITIONING
- LESSON 6: ANTICIPATION AND REACTION
- LESSON 7: SHARING THE ROAD
- LESSON 8: DRIVING SAFELY THROUGH TRAFFIC
- LESSON 9: CHANGING DIRECTION (MORE COMPLEX SITUATIONS)
- LESSON 10: SPEED MANAGEMENT
- LESSON 11: DRIVING CALMLY
- LESSON 12: NIGHT DRIVING
The course is highly interactive with the DVD based theory being followed by a demonstration, practical tasks and assessment of individual skills.Cost
Lessons per hour: €35 including VAT*
6 Lesson pre-booked: €195 Including VAT*
Essential Driver Training (12 lessons) course: €360 Including VAT*
*Prices include cost of EDT logbook, which issued on first lesson.